Friday, September 30, 2011

Overcoming Uncertainty



“Do the thing you fear and keep on doing it…That is the quickest and surest way yet discovered to conquer fear.” — Dale Carnegie

I love reading something I can really learn from and take it to the bank. I enjoy a good story as much as the next guy, but there's something about learning something from a book I can use to improve myself or my life somehow that really just hits home with me. So in light of that, here's what I've dug up.

Uncertainty; risk; exposure to criticism...how do you conquer these 3 crippling things so they dont block your path ??...  Or even better harness their power to help you achieve your goals?  I know I'm the first to act differently when I'm uncomfortable or know I'm being criticized. In your 20's and  30's especially , life is filled with these 3 almost every day. The idea behind this book is that properly understood,  fear and uncertainty can become fuel for creative genius rather than sources of pain, anxiety, and suffering.  Instead of offering an empty pep talk, the author delivers daily practices that can help you transform fear and uncertainty into confidence and creativity. This can be usefuland applicable to every type of person -- in business, art and life.

We’re afraid that to try something new because we don’t want to be criticized, and we don’t want to fail. But nothing great is accomplished without taking risks. Uncertainty, the book, explores methods for circumventing our fear of judgment and failure.

We have to stop being afraid of life- To take charge of our own destiny instead of waiting for it to arrive and to find confidence in the face of fear- in short to thrive on uncertainty. I haven't always been willing to take risks. Sometimes I've chosen the path of least resistance  or seemed safest but you know what that also didnt always make me happy. Sometimes we need a reminder of how and why we've managed to create the life we enjoy today.

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face…You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” — Eleanor Roosevelt

Available at your local bookstore, library or here

No comments:

Post a Comment